STEAM education equips students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in a rapidly changing world and adapt to the future workplace. However, there are significant disparities between Western and Eastern Europe in students’ STEAM performance, and a gender gap can also be recognized. In addition, the significance of education in achieving the SDGs for the future of Europe to establish peace and prosperity for people and the planet has been widely acknowledged. Yet, there is a lack of educational initiatives and resources that can facilitate the successful implementation of the 2030 Agenda in schools.
To this end, the Erasmus+-funded project “STEAMinSDGs” was built to provide teachers with resources to attract, support, and inspire students, especially low-performing ones, regarding the SDGs and their connection to STEAM disciplines, thereby fostering their skills and interest in both fields and encouraging them to become active and responsible citizens.
The objectives of the project are to:• Develop the STEAMinSDGs resources and tools to assist students with low performance gain a deeper of the importance of STEAM in the implementation of the SDGs.
- Utilize present-day technology and innovative educational strategies to encourage students’ active participation in the learning process.
- Test and evaluate the impact of the STEAMinSDGs Resources and tools.
- Strengthen the professional profiles of EU teachers and educators, by providing them with freely available tools and resources.
To achieve its objectives, the project has foreseen the following results:
- The STEAMinSDGs Guidebook, that will provide teachers with the theoretical background.
- The AR Manual, which will present how AR tools may be used as design tools to stimulate creativity in STEAM learning.
- The STEAMinSDGs Handbook, which will guide teachers on how to design Action Plans
- The STEAMinSDGs EU project showcase, an open repository dedicated to innovative projects from all EU funding programmes on STEAM and SDGs topics.